Friday, June 3, 2011

Should i use RTV when changing a water pump ?

I am changing the water pump in my 1992 Toyota Corolla and I am wondering if RTV should be applied to the gasket that seals the water pump and the engine block. Should I use the RTV with the gasket or just use the gasket dry ? I have never had a car that had the water pump bolted to the block the way this one does . I want to do the job correctly so I don%26#039;t have to do the job again anytime soon.|||Use good %26#039; ol # 2 permatex. Lay a bead that%26#039;s about equal to a toothpick on both sides of yer gasket. =^ )|||I used some #2 Permatex and things seem to be staying drip free. I hope things continue dry. The previous owner of the car put the water pump together without the gasket. I owned the car for 3 years before it started to leak, so I feel lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Report Abuse


|||Use RTV in fact for some installations Toyota recommends it, just don%26#039;t go overboard. I usually apply a bead about 2mm thick or you can carefully smear it around with your fingers. If you use too much it will extrude into places where you don%26#039;t want it to, the pieces can break off and cause all sorts of mischief.|||use barely any sealant ..just enough too evenly make the gasket sticky on both sides|||you are not supposed to use rtv on a water pump however every one that I have done i put a TINY amount on the gasket just to make is stick to the pump to make it easier but do not use it as a gasket and do not let it overlap into the pump. Basically if you can do it without then great but if you cant seem to gegt the gasket to stay put then a little wont hurt.|||NO RTV or Permatex! RTV will melt into the cooling system and cause more problems! Permatex :-D Only if you %26quot;Never%26quot; want to get the water pump off again. When Permatex dries with heat it all but welds things together. I use a little Anti-seize or light coating of grease to the gasket soft so it can be taken off easy the next time.|||NO,...Indian head (thats the brand name) or a spray.