Friday, June 3, 2011

Changing water pump on 2.4L Sunfire?

My car needs a new water pump, obviously.





How long of a job do you think I%26#039;m getting myself into? I don%26#039;t want to take it to a garage unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. My boyfriend and I both have very good knowledge on vehicles, and I am pretty certain the 2 of us can do it ourselves.





It%26#039;s a 2.4L, and from what I%26#039;ve read the pump is much harder to change in this than a 2.2L. How long do you think it will take, assuming we have all of the correct tools?|||that%26#039;s the quad four engine. i%26#039;ve seen mechanics have difficulty replacing them. you have to take down the timing chain to change the water pump. i would strongly reccomend that you take it to a pro. Its not a job for just anyone with some auto knowledge. And you%26#039;re looking at paying 700- 800 dollars at a shop. people don%26#039;t realize this when they buy a quad 4 engine. they%26#039;re gr8 until you have to fix them.|||Ok tools is not the problem on this one. I ihgly reccommend taking this one to a shop. I know Master Technicians that hate doing this job. If I%26#039;m not mistaken that one is ran by the timing chain. That is one of the HARDEST water pumps that we have ever ran into. I know the time is off but I%26#039;m wanting to say that one was a 8-9 hr. job as far as tech time. Which means most anyone that isn%26#039;t familar with that will probaly double. Besides you%26#039;re playing with the chain and that is no joke. A lot of shops will even turn down that one. It%26#039;s the 2.4 Quad. One of the worth designs for engine repair GM ever came up with. Good Luck! and be careful!|||Here you go! Everything you need to know, PLUS PICTURES:)








http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairG鈥?/a>