Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Will a bad water pump cause my car to turn off?

My car was smoking and leaking and then it started to turn off on me.Will a bad water pump make the car do this??? It's 96 jeep cherokee

The mechanic already changed the water pump and it runs fine again. But im just wondering it that's what caused my car to be turning off??
Will a bad water pump cause my car to turn off?
Possibly yes. The overheating caused the engine to seize up and turn off.
Will a bad water pump cause my car to turn off?
It will make your car overheat and if it gets too hot it will crack the engine block.
yeeees
Yes it will If you run your car out of water it could lock down your motor down
you know that little gauge that has a fuel pump on it... well it has to be above the E in order for your car to run.
You need to stop driving it and get it to a different garage ASAP. It may be the water pump and you could destroy your engine. If it is the other garage that replaced it needs to be reported. If you are asking if the mechanic did the right thing and it is no longer leaking or over heating you are lucky you didn't ruin your engine. You got out of it cheap.
if it got hot enough it would cause it to shut down on you,that will do it every time,if you got it to hot you may have problems from it later on,hopefully you wont though,good luck.
yes it will, it can cause that in two ways

1- if the water pump pulley get stuck that would cause the belt to brake and that will cause your alternator to stop working then we will only be using your battery and after that the car will die

2- the car over heat to a degree that the eng will shut down the computer to protect it.
I would say you have another problem. The water pump just pumps the water through the engine to keep it cool. In a 96 model cherokee I would assume you have the 4.0l V6. I would check the engine control module for damage. If you remove the module you can test it at autozone or some other parts center for free.
im actually having a similar problem but it seemed to have start with the battery, turns out I need a new alternator but now I noticed that steam is coming from the back of the motor and the water is leaking pretty bad but it's clear water. My car has stopped 2 times in 2 days so im wondering if the water is leaking because my alternator is bad.
  • extension to sqltableprovider
  • short hair styles
  •